Maphelane Campsite & Log Cabins
The traquility sets Maphelane apart from it all, enjoy this secluded campsite and log cabins
Ready to set out on an adventure and enjoy the pristine area of iSimangaliso Wetland Park. The Maphelane Campsite and Log Cabins are situated in the southern part of the park. With its iconic vegetated sand dune sheltering the park on the south side, Umfolozi river to the west, and coral reef to the east it is quite remarkable, to say the least.
Maphelane offers the following:
- 40 Campsites
- Please note without plug points
- 33 Campsites are suitable for both camping and caravans
- 7 Campsites are dedicated to camping only (suitable for tents only)
- The ablutions do have hot & cold water
- A maximum of 6 people per campsite
- No pets are allowed
- 10 (five bed) Log Cabins
- Each Cabin consists of 2 Bedrooms
- Lounge area
- Kitchenette (fully equipped)
Maphelane Campsite & Log Cabins Information
Please take note that the resort does not sell fuel, it is advisable that additional fuel is brought along both for deep-sea fishing and traveling home. There are no power points within the campsite, electricity is supplied to the log cabins by a generator which runs during the following hours.
05:30 am to 10:30 pm weekly and 11:00 pm on Fridays only.
Please do bring drinking water along, non-potable water is supplied for the ablutions.
The access road to Maphelane is in close proximity to the swamp forest and therefore during heavy rains will flood. Please prior to arrival call ahead to ascertain the condition of the road. Accessing Maphelane is done by a gravel road, please note that due to thick sandy areas it is advisable that a 4x4 is used.
All-access gates are controlled and managed by the iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority. Please make sure that you arrive prior to gate closures.
- There is a speed limit of 20km/h
- Please do not feed the animals
- Skippers are to be in possession of a valid skippers ticket
- Skippers are to be in possession of an additional fishing permit (skipper)
- Driving on the beach is not permitted unless launching ones vessel
- Campers are not permitted to use their own generators
- Freezer facilities are available for hire please enquire at reception
- Please do not swim in the Umfolozi River (Crocodiles)
Once at Maphelane
You are in for a super treat, head down to the beach it is in all honesty magnificent. The area due to its tricky access is primarily quiet and peaceful. It is one of those campsites that one can easily camp in for weeks. Let the world go by and just unwind.
The beach area at low tide will offer you an immense area in which to snorkel and swim in. Please be cautious of the incoming tide. The bay area is protected by a shallow reef ideal for exploring. Numerous reef fish and the occasional game fish may be witnessed while snorkeling in the bay of Maphelane.
To the North West area of the bay, you will see that this is where the vessels will launch from please do not snorkel or swim in this area. A quick reminder for all fisherman and spearfishermen fishing permits are required. Take some light tackle along and enjoy the beach area.
Only 3 Jetskis are permitted to launch per day for fishing.
- Surf Fishing
- Deep-Sea Fishing
- Bathing & Snorkelling
- Walks along the beach
Maphelane Campsite & Log Cabins Contact Details
- Maphelane +27 (0) 35 590 1407
- Central Reservations: +27 (0)33 845 1000