SugarLoaf Campsite St Lucia
The most popular Campsite in St Lucia, Sugarloaf Campsite
- Campsites may accommodate 6 people
- Modern Ablutions
- Hot & Cold Water
- Laundry Facilities
- Electric Plug points
- Swimming Pool
BoardWalk & Estuary
The Sugarloaf Campsite borders the Boardwalk as well as the St Lucia Estuary. One may easily access these on foot from the campsite. From the entrance one ay also enjoy the St Lucia Ski Boat Club for some scrumptious meals and of course spectacular views of both the Estuary and Ocean. Please note that the Hippos do wonder at night and care must be taken.
SugarLoaf Campsite St Lucia Overview
What makes the Sugarloaf Campsite in St Lucia so unique? Location without a doubt. Situated just outside of the residential area towards the St Lucia Estuary and Beach. Still within walking distance to town for the more willing avid adventurer. The campsite is nestled and surrounded by dense bush ideal for wildlife that roam this very area.
Don't be alarmed to witness or hear Hippos grazing, Bush Babies cries, and smaller Duiker. The odd Leopard has been spotted so make sure to keep an eye out for these amazing creatures.
Apart from the wildlife rest easy while listening to the Hippos grunting in the estuary and the waves crashing on the nearby beach.
Prior to arrival at the SugarLoaf Campsite please note that one has to stop at the KZN Ezemvelo offices.
Nearby Amenities to Sugarloaf Campsite:
- Spar is approximately 2km from the campsite
- St Lucia Ski Boat Club is approximately 200 meters from the campsite
- St Lucia fresh fruit market is approximately 1,5km from the campsite
- The chemist is approximately 1,5km away at the Wimpy center
- Engen Garage is approximately 1,6km away from the campsite
Travel Times & Distances
- Distance from Durban via the N2 237.9km travel time 2Hr 39 min
- Distance from Richards Bay via the N2 77.3km travel time 1Hr 9 min
- Distance from Pongola via the N2 179.7km travel time 2Hr 6 min
Things to do in St Lucia & Surrounds
- Hiking trails ( Iphiva Hiking trail, Igwalagwala Hiking trail)
- Visit and explore the iSimangaliso Wetland Park (Cape Vidal)
- Deep Sea Fishing
- Enjoy the panoramic views from the Beach and maybe hike to First Rocks
- Explore town at night and you will definitely see some wildlife (Hippos)
- Cycling is a fun way to enjoy the area
- Hippo & Croc Boat Cruise
- Visit the oldest proclaimed game reserve in Africa the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park
Cape Vidal Campsite
Not convinced, maybe experience Cape Vidals Campsite, situated within the iSimangaliso Wetland Park. This campsite is pure bliss and offers pristine beaches and wildlife.
St Lucia falls within the iSimangaliso Wetland Park and is therefore a world heritage site the first in South Africa. It's a small quaint village that has so much to offer should you be an avid wildlife lover. Hippos roam freely and with the largest population in South Africa, you are in for a treat.
Numerous restaurants litter the main street as well as a magnificent fresh fruit market with all of the tropical fruit one could expect. Camping at sugarloaf will undoubtedly give one that true feel of an African campsite with Hippos grunting in the distance in the evening. Enjoy some smaller wildlife such as bushbabies and vervet monkeys as they go about their day.
While in St Lucia why not visit the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park KwaZulu Natal's largest Big 5 reserve.
Should you require any additional information please do not hesitate in dropping us an email.
Frequently Asked Questions
Nearby attractions include
- The St Lucia Boardwalk (200 meters)
- The beach (500 meters)
- The St Lucia Estuary (200 meters)
- Igwalagwala Hiking Trail (800 meters)
The St Lucia Ski Boat Club Restaurant is the closest and is virtually across the road from the Sugarloaf Campsite. Visitors are more than welcome to enjoy a meal and enjoy the awesome views.
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park (S.A. first world heritage site)
- Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park KwaZulu Natals largest Big 5 Game Reserve